2017 Explore Baja Underwater Photo Workshop
October 7 - 19, 2017
About the Trip
Experience what very few people have. A journey where there are no roads, very few people, and almost no boats. At night you hear something splashing. It could be anything - dolphins, marlin, a school of bonitos? Then you hear a huge sound of blowing and water spouting. It's a whale! You can't see him, but he sounds big. At a distance you hear sea lions and pelicans. What a splendid way to end a magnificent day.
During the day we move from one island to the next, diving 3 to 4 times daily. If you wish to hike the remote islands during surface intervals, there is always a dinghy available to take you to shore. Kayaks are also always available for a serene cruise around the islands.
- > Price includes three meals per day, snacks, beverages including soft drinks, juice, domestic beer and wine
- > 3-4 dives per day; tanks, weights and weight belts are provided
- > Activities included: Diving, hiking, kayaking, snorkeling and several land excursions exploring small towns and missions
- > Price includes the 16% Mexican tax, port fees and fuel surcharges
- > Maximum of 20 divers on the trip, including hosts
- > Not included: Airfare, airport transfers ($75 per person from PHX airport to Puerto Penasco and $20 per person from > Puerto Los Cabos to SJD airport), National park fees ($43.00), nitrox ($120), fuel surcharge ($100), dive/travel insurance, and gratuity
- > Check out the boat info and great reviews of the Rocio Del Mar!
Daily Photo Workshops
Workshops will be given daily on topics such as wide-angle underwater photography, ambient light shots, snorkeling with large animals, strobe exposure and positions, avoiding backscatter and composition. Help underwater is also given.
Itinerary & Flight information
Arrival: Guests should fly into San Jose del Cabo airport (code: SJD). You may board the boat between 3:00p and 5:00pm on October 7, and departure from the San Jose del Cabo Marina occurs at approximately 5:00pm. The marina is about 25 minutes from the airport and guests are responsible for their own transportation to the boat. Taxis are readily available, or you can take a shared or private transfer. We recommend Cabo Transfers, as they provide shared ride vans and private shuttles at reasonable prices. www.cabotransfers.com
Return: Our trip will end in Puerto Penasco, Mexico and you will fly out of Phoenix airport (code: PHX). A continental breakfast will be provided on the last morning of the trip (October 19) and guests will disembark by 7:00am. The shuttle to PHX will pick up passengers promptly upon disembarking to Rocio Del Mar. The transfer from the marina to PHX is at least 4 hours, so please book your departing flight from Phoenix no earlier than 2:00pm on October 19th. The cost for this one-way shuttle service is $75 per person, payable directly to the driver.
Here's the itinerary, Which is subject to change:
Day 1 - Check in at boat at 5:00pm - San Jose del Cabo (October 7, 2017)
Day 2 - Cabo Pulmo
Day 3 - Isla Cerralvo
Day 4 - El Bajo, ship wreck (Fang Ming), visit La Paz for the afternoon
Day 5 - Early hike on San Francisco Island, Dora's Pinnacle, Los Islotes
Day 6 - Animas
Day 7 - Coronado, walk Loreto Mission Square in the evening
Day 8 - Isla Alfonso
Day 9 - San Pedro Martir
Day 10 - Animas and Salsipuedes
Day 11 - Bahia de los Angeles - whale sharks, El Pescador
Day 12 - Angel Island
Day 13 - Disembark 7:00am (October 19, 2017)
Marine life to photograph
The bio-diversity between the Northern and Southern Sea of Cortez is incredible. The sea life we witness on the surface from the boat, dinghys or snorkeling is fantastic. Potential to see dolphins, sea lions, pilot, humpback, blue, fin, sei, orca and sperm whales. Also, flying mantas, blue and brown footed boobies, cormorants, frigate birds and the endemic yellow footed gulls.
Average water temperatures in October are in the low to mid 80s. A full 3mm wetsuit is recommended. Although the conditions in the Sea of Cortez are mostly calm, there are times that the sea is rough. Please be prepared for this type of situation and bring seasickness medication if necessary.
- $800 - Deposit, due at booking
- $800 - Due Jan 1, 2017
- $1,000 - Due Apr 1, 2017
- $1,395 - Due July 1, 2017
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info and to book your spot!
- Call us at (310) 915-6677
- Stop by our office at 3961 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 206 Culver City, CA 90230
pHOTOS FROM PREVIOUS TRIPS
Photo of Rocio del Mar
Here are the accommodations on the Rocio Del Mar liveaboard boat. These are the comfortable guest rooms, all of which include a private bathroom with hot showers, windows, carpet and air conditioning.
The Rocio Del Mar.
Diver observes the glistening blue water and view from the boat's deck.